In many respects Queen Street hasn't changed much over the last hundred years. The shops may have changed but apart from some of the white buildings in the middle of the left hand photo above & Harrap's Yard, where the garden now stands, being demolished in the slum clearance, the majority of the buildings remain.
'Stan Barstow Gardens', named in honour of the Horbury-born author, now occupy the site of Harrap's Yard.
Queen Street was originally called Widgery Lane, then later Hodge Lane, but in the 1880s, it was renamed again as Queen Street, most probably in honour of Queen Victoria. However, on the 28 March 1871, the "Leeds Mercury" carried a report of fire at Mr William Allanson's draper's shop in Queen's-street, Hodge Lane, Horbury, so it is likely that local people had already termed Hodge Lane as Queen Street before the change was made official.
Image taken from an original glass lantern slide. Courtesy of Nev Ashby.
A similar postcard view c1905. Courtesy of Steve Middleton.
The date stone of 1717, on what was for many years the 'Tuppenny Shop', alludes to the age of some of the properties in Queen Street.
Queen Street in the 1911 census
Let's take a wander down Queen Street in 1911, at the time the census was taken and meet the shopkeepers of the day.
It is believed that Queen Street was named in honour of Queen Victoria by a postmaster of the town. 64 year old widow Eliza Hall is the sub-postmistress (stationer).
A view of the Post Office & Queen Street from c1900.
Post Office & Walker's Butchers shop 1987. Photo Helen Bickerdike
Eliza was born Eliza Kershaw in about 1847 in Scholes, near Bradford, the daughter of William and Miriam Kershaw and she married Samuel Hall, a book binder from Horbury on 29th November 1869, at St Michael's Church, Wakefield.
The 1871 census shows them living on Lidgate (High Street). Samuel is still a book binder and they have had children, Herbert 5, Eleanor 4 and Edwin 1. The next census, in 1881 shows a move to Queen Street. Samuel is described as a book binder and sub-postmaster. He and Eliza have had three more children, Annie 7, Alfred 4 and Percy 2. Eldest son Herbert, now 15, is a telegraph messenger.
Ten year later, in 1891, Samuel is described as a printer, stationer and postmaster. Herbert has married and is now a printer. His wife is Emily and they have a 9 month-old daughter, Dora. Samuel and Eliza have had another son, Harold 8. Samuel Hall died in 1894 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery. A newspaper cutting from the Nottingham Evening Post reveals that he died in Grantham Hospital after being found unconscious on a train from York to London. His health had apparently been suffering due to complications after an attack of influenza.
The next census, in 1901 shows 54 year-old Eliza has become the sub-post mistress and stationer. Daughter Annie is still at home and son Percy is now a solicitors clerk. By 1911, Annie is still at home with her mother. The census also reveals the Post Office is a 6 room building, Eliza and Annie even have a domestic servant, Betsy Ann Livesey. Eliza Hall died in 1922, aged 76 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery on 7th April.
After looking at the Post Office, we come to a grocery run by William Crowther.
William Crowther was born in Crigglestone in 1858. He was the second son of Charles and Sarah Ann Crowther. The 1861 census shows their address as Dennington Spa Hill. Charles was a coal miner. The next census in 1871 shows 13 year old William has followed his father and older brother Henry into the pit. William has 5 younger siblings now, Joseph 11, Albert 7, Arthur 4, Mary Ann 2 and Clara 5 months.
The 1881 census shows the family still in Crigglestone, William is still a miner and his parents have had 2 more sons, George 4 and Alfred 1. His brothers Albert and Arthur have become trammers in the mine.
The following year, there were changes for 24 year old William, as he married Emma Exley of Ossett on 4th February 1882. His address was given as Earlsheaton. By the 1891 census, William and Emma have moved to Horbury and live on Back Lane (Peel Street). William is still a miner and the couple have had 2 daughters, Lily 8 and Harriet 4.
The 1901 census still shows William as a miner. Now 43 years old, he and Emma are still living on Back Lane and have had a son, Cephas Leonard 6. Eldest daughter Lily is now a woollen weaver.
So, at some point during the next 10 years, William left the pit and opened his grocery shop on Queen Street. It was a property of 4 rooms and the 3 youngest Crowthers were still living at home in this census. Lily Crowther had married Seth Wilby, a shoemaker of Highfield Road, on Christmas Day 1907, at the Ebenezer Chapel, Horbury. William gave is occupation as a grocer on the marriage certificate, so we know he was in business in that year. William Crowther died on 21st February 1919, aged 62 and was buried in Horbury Cemetery. Emma died only 2 months later on 13th April, aged 59.
The shop which was William Crowther's grocery in 1911.
Queen Street on an OS map from 1913.
Continuing, we come to a small confectionery shop, run by 60 year old Eliza Robinson. She lives here with her second husband Joseph, a coal miner and his 17 year old son Arthur, who is an apprentice at the Athletic Goods manufacturers.
Eliza was born in Kirkheaton as Eliza Hardcastle, in 1851. Her parents were Joseph, a book keeper and Harriet.
The 1861 census shows the Hardcastles living at Brice Hill, Crigglestone. 10 year old Eliza has 2 sisters, Amy 7 and Ann 11 months. It isn't clear what happened to Eliza over the next 30 years, she was possibly in service, as there are women with the same name but not birthplace, who could be her. The next definite 'sighting' comes in 1890, when at the age of 40, Eliza married 41 year old widower James Ward, at Wakefield Cathedral on 21st July.
The 1891 census shows them living at 11 Arundel Street, Wakefield. Living with them are James' children, Thomas 15, Mary Ann 12, James 9 and Lizzie 5. James (snr) works on the railway.
On 16th July 1898, Eliza married 37 year old widower Joseph Robinson. Joseph was a miner and 10 years her junior. Their addresses on their marriage certificate are Northgate, Horbury.
In the 1901 census, Joseph and Eliza are living on Queen Street. Joseph is still a coal miner and Eliza doesn't have an occupation listed. Living with them is Joseph's son Arthur 7.
The 1911 census shows us their home on Queen Street, which also doubles as Eliza's confectionery business, is just 2 rooms.
Eliza Robinson died in 1921, aged 70. She was buried at Horbury Cemetery but no headstone survives.
Next we come to a green grocer's run by Beatrice Rhodes. Beatrice was married to coal miner Walter Rhodes and they lived on Queen Street, at the time of the 1911 census, in 4 rooms with their 5 children.
Beatrice (nee Smith) was born in 1874, the daughter of Cook and Elizabeth Smith of Horbury. She married Walter Rhodes, originally of Ossett, on Boxing Day 1896 at St Peter's Church. Her address was Highfield Road and Walter's was Park Street.
By the 1901 census, Walter and Beatrice are living at Waring's Yard, which seems to be off Highfield Road. Walter is now a machine minder in a woollen mill. He and Beatrice have had 3 daughters, Emily 3, Florence 2 and Lilian who is only a few weeks old.
By the 1911 census the family had increased in size to include Gladys Irene 8 and Elizabeth 1. Eldest daughter Emily, now 13, is making leather gloves at the Athletic Works and Walter has returned to coal mining.
The 1939 Electoral Roll shows Walter, Beatrice and daughter Florence, living at 10 Wray's Buildings on School Lane. Walter is now described as a general labourer and Florence as a cloth refiner.
Eldest daughter Emily married miner, Joe Simpson from Wrenthorpe, on 7th July 1923 at St Peter's Church. In 1939 they were living at 13 Sunroyd Hill. Gladys Irene married Frank Faunt Noble, a book keeper from Ossett, on 27th April 1925 at St Peter's Church. In 1939, they lived at Southfield Lane and had a 14 year old son called Terry. I assume he grew up to be Terry Noble the newsagent?
I am unable to find any further records for Lilian or Elizabeth Rhodes.
Beatrice Rhodes died in 1961, aged 86 and Walter Rhodes died in 1969, aged 94.
Our next stop is at the home and business of Amos Battye who was born in Ossett in 1843, the son of Nathan Battye, a cloth weaver and Jane. He married Mary Firth at St Peter’s Church on the 18th July 1863. Many people will remember this shop as the 'Tuppenny Shop'.
The 1871 census shows them living in Queen Street with their children Annie 4 and Nathan 6 months. Amos is a woollen cloth weaver. Tragically Nathan died in 1876 age 5. The next census in 1881 records them still living on Queen Street, Amos is still a weaver and they have two more children, Joe 3 and Ernest 6 months.
By 1891, still on Queen Street, Amos has become a cabinet maker and his wife Mary a grocer and general dealer. They have another two children, Beatrice 7 and Fred 4. Amos’s sister Jane 44 is also living with them. In the 1901 census, still on Queen Street, Amos is now a picture frame maker, no mention of Mary being a grocer and general dealer anymore. Beatrice is a shop assistant and Fred is also a picture frame maker. In 1911, Joe is making picture frames and Fred is a licensed hardware hawker. The census actually describes Amos as a china and glass dealer and also reveals Amos and Mary had a total of 10 children, 6 of which died. Amos died age 71 in 1915 and buried at Horbury Cemetery on the 25th August. Unfortunately, no headstone survives.
Amos Battye had another 'claim to fame' is 'Battye's Chapel', and I'm sure many of you remember it being called this too. Its proper name was 'Mount Zion' and Amos Battye was the driving force behind it. The mission had been started in about 1885, according to the newspaper article, along with John North, who predeceased Amos. It was still a chapel in my lifetime but has been a private house for a number of years now.
An early 20th century view of Amos Battye's Queen Street shop.
The 'New Connexion Chapel' dates from 1824 & became known as 'Battye's Chapel' when Amos Battye became the driving force behind the mission in abut 1885.
Then we come to Ezra Rhodes, fish fryer. In 1911 Ezra lives here with his wife of 5 years, Ada (nee Hutchinson). They do not have any children. I'm not sure if Ezra is related to neighbour Walter Rhodes because on Walter's marriage certificate his father's name is left blank.
Ezra was baptised on 2nd February 1873 at St Peter's Church. He was the son of spinner Thomas Baines Rhodes and Emma. In the 1881 census, the family live at Club Houses. Ezra has an older brother Eli 13 and two younger sisters, Louisa 5 and Sarah 3. By the 1891 census, the family have moved to Millfield Yard. Thomas is now described as a carrier and 18 year old Ezra is a mule spinner. The family has 2 more children, Edith 8 and John W 5.
The 1901 census shows the family still at Millfield Yard. Thomas is described as a carrier for a cloth mill. Ezra is now a wool sorter.
Ezra and Ada married on 22nd April 1905 at the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel, Horbury. After the 1911 census, I can find no further records for them.
Starting at the bottom at No.1, where tobacco dealer William Hargreaves Lockwood and his family live (Portman Jewellers today), let's visit the shopkeers on the other side of Queen Street.
William is 39 and Horbury born and bred, being baptised on 3rd September 1871, the son of Joseph and Ann Elizabeth. William married Ellen Firth on 3rd September 1892 (exactly 21 years after his baptism!). William was a coal agent, like his father. The 1901 census shows William and Ellen living on Queen Street, William is a tobacconist shopkeeper. They have 2 sons, Frederick 5 and Percival 1.
By the 1911 census, William and Ellen have had another son, Frank 6. They have also had a child who died.
Ellen Lockwood died in 1915, aged 49 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery. William Hargreaves Lockwood died aged 50, in the West Riding Asylum and was buried at Horbury Cemetery on 22nd January 1922, although in a completely different place to his wife. There are no surviving headstones for either.
Eldest son Frederick seems to have taken over the business after his father died, as when he married his occupation was tobacconist and his address was still 1 Queen Street. Frederick married Beatrice Annie Terry, a photographer's assistant, on 6th September 1922 at St Mary's Congregational Church, Morley. By the 1939 Electoral Register though, Frederick had given up the tobacconist shop and become a bus driver. He and Beatrice were living in Middlestown.
Percival Lockwood married Ivy Wood on 22nd March 1930 at St Mary Magdalene Church, Outwood. Percival also became a bus driver and in the 1939 Electoral Register, he and Ivy were living at 6 Park Square, Rothwell.
Youngest son Frank married Gladys Hewitt in 1929. The 1939 Electoral register shows that unlike his brothers, Frank became an insurance agent. Their address was 67 Butt Lane, Farnley.
A slightly later than 1911 postcard view - Nicholson's shop can be seen on the left near the car.
A 1950's postcard view taken slightly higher up the street than the previous picture.
As we continue our journey up Queen Street's left hand side, we come to the home of the Nicholson family. As we've seen on the other side of the street, sometimes the wives were running small shops at their homes, while their husbands were working in traditional industries. The Nicholsons were no exception.
George Nicholson was born in Liversedge and was the son of woollen spinner Joseph and his wife Hannah. The 1871 census shows them living at 10 High Street, Liversedge. When George married Clara Braime Audsley on 2nd October 1898 at St Peter's Church, his address was Paradise Row, Cluntergate and he was an overlooker.
The 1901 census shows George and Clara living at Walker Lane with their 2 year old daughter Miriam. George is now a woollen cloth spinner. When the 1911 census was taken, the couple were living near the bottom of Queen Street, George was still a woollen spinner but Clara was running a confectionery business from their home. Miriam was their only child.
Miriam married George William Hill, a 27 year old railway clerk from Club Houses, Highfield Road, on 28th August 1929 at the Ebenezer Primitive Chapel, High Street, Horbury. Miriam's address was 3 Queen Street and her occupation was confectioner.
The 1939 Electoral Register shows George and Miriam Hill living at 'Ormonde', Regent Street, Horbury. Her parents are living with them.
George Nicholson died on 10th July 1941, aged 71. He was buried at Horbury Cemetery. Clara joined him when she died on 7th May 1959, aged 87.
A view of Queen Street showing Andrassy's Butchers shop
A similar view of Queen Street taken in 2016. Photo Helen Bickerdike.
Continuing our return journey up the left hand side of Queen Street, we come to our 3rd shop, Andrassy's Pork Butchers.
Hermann Andrassy was born in Brannsbach, Wurtennberg, Germany in 1863. He was the son of Frederick and Rosina and was naturalized on 9th September 1896, swearing the Oath of Allegiance before Joshua Harrop JP on 8th October.
Hermann had married Katherine Lochner, also of Brannsbach and at the time he became a British Citizen they had three sons, George Frederick 9, Hermann (jnr) 4 and Albert Edward 2.
Hermann Andrassy was born in Brannsbach, Wurtennberg, Germany in 1863. He was the son of Frederick and Rosina and was naturalized on 9th September 1896, swearing the Oath of Allegiance before Joshua Harrop JP on the 8th October.
Hermann had married Katherine Lochner, also of Brannsbach and at the time he became a British Citizen they had three sons, George Frederick 9, Hermann (jnr) 4 and Albert Edward 2. Albert Edward Andrassy died on 24th April 1899, aged 5, followed on 14th May by Hilda, aged 1.
The 1901 census shows Hermann and Katherine have had another son, Edwin who is 9 months old. John Lochner and Fred Reger have moved on and Walter Phillips 22 is assisting in the business. They have 2 German domestic servants, Linda Wicker 18 and Elsie Muller 16.
By the 1911 census 47 year old Hermann and 46 year old Katherine have been married for 24 years and have had a total of 8 children, only 5 of which survive. Another 2 sons have been born since the last census, Walter 9 and Gilbert 7. The household also comprises; Marie Lochner 16, a niece, Phyllis Murphy13 a domestic servant plus August Schmidt 27 and Herbert Lanson 24, assisting in the business.
Eldest son George Frederick didn't join the family business and the 1911 census finds him aged 23 lodging with Lewis Oswald Monson, also 23, at 23 Hamlet Road, Chelmsford, Essex. George is an assistant engineer and surveyor for the rural district council. He married Janet Gloyne on 16th July 1912 at George Street Congregational Chapel, Wakefield. George Frederick died on 2nd September 1930 at Duncan House, Thornes Lane, Wakefield.
Hermann (jnr) now 19, is entered and then crossed out on his parents census return. He was actually visiting the home of Joe Kenworthy Appleyard in Derby. Two years later, on 20th May 1913, Hermann married Joe Appleyard's daughter Winifred at St James' Church, Derby. The 1939 Electoral Register shows them living in Thurrock, Hermann is a managing director in the motor trade.
Edwin Andrassy did go in to the family business. He married Eva Westwood Blacker, an elementary school teacher, on 10th March 1923 at the Zion Congregational Church, Gawthorpe. The 1939 Electoral Register shows them living at Stannard Well Lane. A master butcher, Edwin is also a driver of the Horbury Ambulance.
Plumber and artist, Walter Andrassy married Doris Hill, a school teacher, on 16th May 1925 at the Ebenezer Chapel, High Street, Horbury. The 1939 Electoral Register shows the couple living at 'Meadowside', Southfield Lane, next door to his widowed mother Katherine. Hermann Andrassy had died in 1911, aged 47. Katherine died on 11th January 1955, aged 89.
Youngest son Gilbert, in business with his brother Edwin, married Annie Louisa Hinchliffe on 23rd May 1925 at the Ebenezer Chapel, High Street, Horbury. The 1939 Electoral register shows them living at 'Elm Lea', Grove Road, Horbury. Gilbert is also an ARP ambulance driver.
Next we come to the home and business of Elizabeth Ellam, a fish dealer. In 1911 Elizabeth is a 68 year-old widow, running the business with her son Albert, who is 32 years old and single.
Elizabeth was born in Huddersfield in 1842, the daughter of William and Hannah Wright. She married Thomas Ellam, a clothier, on 17th November 1866 at Dewsbury All Saints.
The 1871 census shows them living at Hightown, Liversedge. They have a 2 year old daughter Mary. The 1881 census shows there has been a move to East Parade, Dewsbury. Thomas is now a card fettler in a woollen mill. Elizabeth is making her first foray into shopkeeping, as a grocer. The couple have 2 more children, Alice 7 and Albert 2. The 1891 census shows another move, this time to 9 Camroyd Street, Dewbury. Thomas is now a milk dealer, Elizabeth has no occupation recorded. There is no mention of eldest daughter Mary.
The 1901 census shows the family have stayed at the same address, Thomas is still a milk dealer, Albert is now a joiner and carpenter. There is no mention of daughter Alice. Thomas Ellam died in 1906, aged 62. Sometime between 1901 and 1911, Elizabeth and Albert moved to Horbury.
The 1911 census records that Elizabeth had a total of 7 children, 3 of which survive. I assume this means Mary, Alice and Albert, although I am unable to make definite connections for Mary and Alice.
It appears Elizabeth Ellam died in Huddersfield in 1921, aged 78. I am unable to find a definite death for Albert.
An early 20th century view showing some of the buildings that have since been demolished. The furthest white building reamins today.
Photo showing a similar view. The car park is now Willing's Dental Practice. The old white building now Pinx Hairdressing.
The next port of call on our journey up Queen Street is the home and drapery business of Benjamin Harrap (or Harrop, depending on the record). In 1911, 54 year old Benjamin lives here in 7 rooms with his 53 year old wife Hannah and 3 children, Annie 28, William 22 and Percy 15.
Benjamin Harrap was born on 28th November 1856 and baptised at St Paul's Church, Alverthorpe on 23rd May 1858. He was the 9th child of dyer Abraham and his wife Eliza. The 1871 census shows Abraham is also a farmer of 12 acres and the family live at Glover's Yard, Alverthorpe.
On Boxing Day 1881, Benjamin married Hannah Shires at St Luke's Church, Middlestown. Benjamin's occupation was given as an overlooker.
The 1891 census shows Benjamin and Hannah now living on Queen Street, Horbury. Benjamin is a draper and the couple have 2 children, Annie 8 and William 2. The 1901 census shows the family has expanded to include Percy, aged 5.
By the 1911 census, Benjamin has been a draper on Queen Street for at least 20 years. 28 year old Annie and 15 year old Percy are assisting their father in the business and 22 year old William is a clerk for the county council. In 1909, William joined the 4th Battalion KOYLI (Territorial Reserve) and became a Lance Corporal. In 1914 he was part of the Expeditionary Force in France. In 1912 he had married Edith Robinson. They had a son, Arthur Wynstone, who died at only 11 days.
Benjamin Harrap died in 1917, aged 60 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery on 4th November. Hannah died in 1932, aged 74 and was buried in the same plot, although her name hasn't been added. The grave also contains infant grandson, Arthur Wynstone Harrap.
The 1939 Register records Percy and Annie Harrap still running the drapery business at 13 and 15 Queen Street (Rich and Fancy and Benjamin's Boutique today), it must have been trading for at least 50 years. Annie Harrap never married and died in 1956, aged 73, William died in 1966, aged 77 and Percy died in 1976, aged 80.
Then we come to the home and business of Harvey Stafford. In the 1911 census Harvey is a 35 year old Horbury born boot and shoe dealer.
Harvey Stafford was born in 1875, the son of John and Mary. John Stafford died in 1879 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery with 3 children who died young. In the 1881 census, 6 year old Harvey is living with his mother and 4 older siblings, Martha Ann 21, Emma 19, George 18 and Henry 13, at South Buildings, Archer Lane, Horbury (their address seems to be Archer Lane but I've never heard of it).
By the 1891 census, the family are living on Back Lane (Peel Street) and 16 year old Harvey is a boot and shoe maker. Harvey married Adelaide Baines in the summer of 1898, 2 years after his mother died.
The 1901 census shows Harvey and Adelaide living on Church Street. Harvey is a boot and shoe maker, running his own business. They have a 2 year old daughter, Sarah Baines. They are living next door to Adelaide's sister and brother, Lilla and Albert Edgar Baines, who are running a grocery.
The 1911 census shows Harvey and Adelaide only had one child and Adelaide's brother Albert Edgar is now living with them, in their 3 rooms, repairing boots.
The 1939 Register shows Harvey and Adelaide living at 17 Queen Street. Harvey is a boot and shoe dealer and repairer. The Electoral Register of 1945 shows the Staffords now live at 'Wyncliff', Wynthorpe Road. Adelaide died shortly afterwards, aged 69 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery on 2nd May.
Harvey Stafford died on 12th June 1961, aged 86 and was buried with his wife in the Baines family grave. This grave also records Adelaide's brother, Albert Edgar, who lived with them and worked for Harvey, as being killed in action on 9th April 1918. He is buried in Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery, France.
Over half way up Queen Street, we come to the home of Frederick William and Mary Elizabeth Rushworth. 40 year old Frederick is a hairdresser, running his own business and 44 year old Mary is a draper, working from home.
Frederick William Rushworth was born in Horbury in 1870, the son of William and Sarah Ann. The 1871 census shows a 7 month old Frederick living with his parents and 5 siblings, James 20, Louisa 17, Matilda 6, Ann Parish 5 and Emily 3. William Rushworth is a whitesmith (a maker of pots and pans etc), as is eldest son James. Sarah Ann is listed as a confectioner, so I assume they had a little shop, their address is Church Street.
The 1881 census shows a widowed Sarah Ann still on Church Street but now a grocer. William had died in 1877, aged 54. James, now 30 has changed from whitesmith to blacksmith. Louisa, now 27 is on home duties, Ann, aged 16 is a cloth burler, 13 year old Emily has no occupation listed and 10 year old Frederick is still at school. The family have a lodger, 30 year old police officer William Hulland. Matilda married Walter Bradley in 1878 and now lives in Crofton.
The 1891 census sees Sarah Ann still with her grocery business on Church Street, now being assisted by Emily. Frederick, now 20 years old is still at home and is now an apprentice hairdresser. The census lists a tinner's workshop on Queen Street occupied by blacksmith's labourer James Rushworth, a tramp. Emily married Joseph Peace, a grocer from Oxford, on 29th September 1891.
On 19th April 1897, 26 year old Frederick married 31 year old Mary Elizabeth Clarkson from Calder Grove. They married at St James' Chapelthorpe.
The 1901 census shows Frederick, hairdresser on own account and Mary, fancy draper on own account. They also have a 2 year old son Leonard. By 1911, 12 year old Leonard has 2 siblings, 7 year old Phyllis and 2 year old Sarah Ann. Frederick and Mary have been lucky, all 3 of their children have survived. The census also shows Sarah Ann Rushworth living with Emily and Joseph (now calling themselves Taylor) at 11 Church Street. Joseph is a grocer and provision dealer.
Frederick William Rushworth died on 30th September 1930, aged 60 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery on 2nd October. His address was 'Allithwaite', Westfield Road. Mary Elizabeth died in 1938, aged 72 and was buried with her husband.
Leonard Rushworth became an architect for Wakefield Council. The 1939 Register shows him and his wife Irene living at 'Montaya', Oakwood Grove. Phyllis married Archibald Edward Knights on 14th January 1925. The 1939 Register shows them living at Tom Lane, Sheffield. Archibald is a newsagent. Sarah Ann also married a newsagent, Clifford Barker, on 27th November 1929. The 1939 Register shows them living at 'Allithwaite', Westfield Road.
A 1964 view of upper Queen Street. Courtesy of Sheila Martin.
From a 1903 Christmas Card by T E Green. Courtesy Robert Billing.
We have reached the home and business of Reuben Johnson, the publican at the 'Ring O' Bells'. A lot of people will remember this as being Walker's butchers for many years, the property is now a private dwelling.
Reuben Johnson was born in Featherstone in 1873, the son of Reuben and Jane Johnson. The 1881 census shows Reuben (snr) is a colliery weighman and the family live on Station Lane, Featherstone. Reuben (jnr) is one of 9 children, the household also contains a boarder! By the 1891 census, Reunben (jnr) is the oldest child still at home. At 17 years old he is a coal miner. There are 3 younger siblings, a boarder and now 2 domestic servants! Reuben (snr) is recorded as a weigh clerk and the family's address is Phipps Street, Featherstone.
On 16th April 1894, Reuben (jnr) married Annie Jepson at South Featherstone. The 1901 census shows Reuben and Annie living with Annie's parents, John and Elizabeth Jepson, at 8 Wakefield Road, Featherstone. They have 2 children, Lillian 4 and Albert 3. Reuben is still a coal miner.
The 1910 Land Tax Valuation shows Reuben and William Jebson, Annie's brother, renting the pub from The Tadcaster Tower Brewery Company Ltd. The 1911 census shows Reuben and Annie have a third child, Reuben (jnr) 3, he was born in Horbury, so the family have been here at least that long.
Living with them is 20 year old servant Fanny Jones. The living quarters stretch to 7 rooms.
The Register of Petty Sessional Licences shows Reuben is the licensee up until 1929, when Alfred Rayner took over.
Reuben Johnson died at the beginning of 1930, aged 56 and was buried at Featherstone after a funeral at St Peter's, Horbury on 22nd January. Coincidently, Joseph Waite, publican at The Fleece was buried at Horbury only the day before.
Concluding our journey, we come to the home and business of Joseph Lee. He is a 40 year old single man, born in Horbury, running his own fried fish and chip shop.
In 1911, Joseph is sharing his home with his sister Ann, his brother in law Fred Broadhead, who is a coal miner and their 3 children, Emma 7, Charles 6 and Arthur 3.
Joseph was baptised at St Peter's Church on 5th March 1871. He was the son of factory engine man Charles and his wife Jane. When the 1871 census was taken Joseph was 3 months old. The family's address was Ranter's Fold and Joseph has 3 older siblings, Jane 15, Benjamin 12 and Emma 2.
The 1881 census shows 10 year old Joseph has another sibling, Elizabeth 8. By 1891 Joseph, now 19 years old, is a cloth finisher. His sister Ann, who lives with him in 1911, is 8 years old.
Charles Lee died in 1894 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery. The 1901 census shows the Lee family has moved to the first property at the top of Queen Street (where we find Joseph in 1911). 59 year old Jane Lee is recorded as being a grocery store keeper, 32 year old Emma had no occupation recorded, 30 year old Joseph is now a fried fish dealer and 18 year old Ann is a rag sorter. Later the same year, Jane Lee died and was buried at Horbury Cemetery, although no headstone survives.
On 26th August 1903, Ann married Fred Broadhead at St Peter's Church, just across the road from where she lived.
Having appeared in the 1911 census as a 40 year old bachelor, it wouldn't always be the case for Joseph Lee. On 27th February 1926, at the age of 55, he married 54 year old widow Hannah Shires at the United Methodist Church, Horbury. He gave his occupation as fish dealer but his address was now Regent Street. Hannah's late husband Walter Shires was also a fried fish and chip dealer.
Joseph Lee died in 1939, aged 68 and was buried at Horbury Cemetery, in the same plot as Hannah's first husband Walter Shires. In the England and Wales Register of the same year, Hannah Lee is listed as living at 2 Tithe Barn Street, just around the corner from the fish and chip shop, with her daughter Mabel Shires. The Register shows Charles and Maggie Shires are now frying the fish and chips, Hannah's brother in law from her first marriage.
Hannah Lee died on 23rd September 1957, aged 85 years. She joined both her husbands in Horbury Cemetery.
The building on the left was once the 'Ring O' Bells' pub. For many years it was Walker's Butchers.
The white building was once Joseph Lee's Fish & Chip shop. Courtesy Nev Ashby.
Helen Bickerdike March 2019